Chisholm Scores First NASCAR Win in Front of Home Town Crowd at Riverside
JAMES RIVER, NS – Donald Chisholm scored an emotional and convincing victory in front of the hometown crowd as he took his first career NASCAR Canadian Tire Series presented by Mobil 1 checkered flag in Saturday’s Wilson Equipment 300 at Riverside International Speedway.
The victory for Chisholm, from Antigonish, came in his 16th career start. A part-time competitor since 2007, he became the 15th different winner in Canadian Tire Series history.
Chisholm, whose family owns Riverside, captured the victory less than two months after his father and track founder, John, passed away. Chisholm also earned his first career pole earlier in the evening.
Chisholm was followed across the finish line by only three other lead lap cars: Alex Labbe, D.J. Kennington and Andrew Ranger. Both Kennington and Ranger passed Chisholm in the closing laps to rejoin the lead lap.
Mark Dilley, points leader L.P. Dumoulin, J.R. Fitzpatrick, Noel Dowler and rookies John Flemming and Matthew Scannell brought home the top 10.
Jason Hathaway appeared poised to defend his Riverside win from a year ago. He was cruising in the lead when he collided with the spun Flemming car while navigating lap traffic on Lap 240.
Chisholm’s win was a popular one with congratulations coming his way from all over including 2012 NASCAR Sprint Cup Series champion Brad Keselowski and 2013 NASCAR Camping World Truck Series champion Matt Crafton (both IWK 250 alumni), as well as from several fellow drivers from both NASCAR and the Parts for Trucks Pro Stock Tour, on which Chisholm competes regularly.
Riverside International Speedway, and Donald Chisholm, are back in action Sunday for the Ron MacGillivray Chev Buick GMC with time trials at 1:20 p.m. and racing at 2 p.m.
The Wilson Equipment 300 will premiere on TSN on Saturday, Aug. 23 at 2:30 p.m. (ET), and on RDS2 on Thursday, Sept. 11 at 8 p.m.
The Canadian Tire Series will return to action with the Pinty’s presents the Clarington 200 on Aug. 31 at Canadian Tire Motorsport Park in Bowmanville, Ont.
NASCAR Canadian Tire Series pres. by Mobil 1-Wilson Equipment 300 – Unofficial Results
At Riverside International Speedway – Antigonish, N.S. – Lap length: 0.333 miles
(Start position in parentheses)
1. (1) Donald Chisholm, Antigonish, N.S., Ford, 300 laps, 58.813 mph.
2. (8) Alex Labbe, Saint-Albert, Que., Dodge, 300.
3. (5) D.J. Kennington, St. Thomas, Ont., Dodge, 300.
4. (2) Andrew Ranger, Roxton Pond, Que., Dodge, 300.
5. (10) Mark Dilley, Barrie, Ont., Ford, 299.
6. (15) L.P. Dumoulin, Trois-Rivieres, Que., Dodge, 299.
7. (9) J.R. Fitzpatrick, Ayr, Ont., Chevrolet, 299.
8. (13) Noel Dowler, Sherwood Park, Alta., Chevrolet, 299.
9. (11) John Flemming, Halifax, N.S., Dodge, 297.
10. (12) Matthew Scannell, Milton. Ont., Dodge, 296.
11. (7) Joey McColm, Ajax, Ont., Dodge, 296.
12. (4) Jason Hathaway, Dutton, Ont., Chevrolet, 286.
13. (16) Paul Jean, St-Eustache, Que., Dodge, 280.
14. (6) Stefan Rzadzinski, Edmonton, Alta., Dodge, 63, suspension.
15. (3) Scott Steckly, Milverton, Ont., Dodge, 42, brakes.
16. (14) Kerry Micks, Mount Albert, Ont., Ford, 8, electrical.
Time of Race: 1 hour 41 minutes 55 seconds
Margin of Victory: 2.682 seconds
Fastest Qualifier: D.Chisholm (82.443 mph, 14.541 seconds)
Caution Flags: 4 for 49 laps.
Lead Changes: 8 among 5 drivers.
Lap Leaders: A. Ranger 1-3; D. Chisholm 4-36; A. Ranger 37-139; J. Fitzpatrick 140; N. Dowler 141-146; J. Fitzpatrick 147-162; D. Chisholm 163-172; J. Hathaway 173-240; D. Chisholm 241-300.
Standings: 1. L. Dumoulin, 337; 2. A. Ranger, 311; 3. J. Fitzpatrick, 311; 4. J. Hathaway, 290; 5. D. Kennington, 285; 6. S. Steckly, 280; 7. N. Dowler, 270; 8. J. McColm, 245; 9. M. Dilley, 199; 10. A. Tagliani, 192.