Steckly Scores Dominating Win in Wounded Warriors Canada 300
Scott Steckly had the NASCAR Canadian Tire Series presented by Mobil 1 field covered Saturday as he rolled to victory in the Wounded Warriors Canada 300 at Riverside International Speedway.
Steckly took the lead on Lap 157 and set sail in a dominant performance that saw him lap all but second place Marc-Antoine Camirand at the finish.
It was the 19th career victory for the driver of the No. 22 Canadian Tire Dodge, which ties him for second on the series’ all-time list with D.J. Kennington. It was also the second win in nine visits to the .333-mile Maritime oval for Steckly, from Milverton, Ontario.
Camirand’s runner-up marked his best career finish in the series. Andrew Ranger crossed the line third while Mark Dilley ran fourth and J.F. Dumoulin fifth.
Jason Hathaway, L.P. Dumoulin, Gary Klutt, Joey McColm and rookie Jason Collins brought home the top 10.
Kennington, who set a track record in qualifying earlier in the evening, retired from the race just 40 laps in with a drive train failure while in the lead.
With his third win of the season, Steckly increased his championship lead to 12 points on Ranger with two races remaining. Hathaway is 19 points back.
In support class action the Atlantic Tiltload Maritime League of Legends ran the Cummins 50 with Jarrett Butcher winning, followed by Craig Langille and Justin MacNeill.
Saturday’s Wounded Warriors Canada 300 telecast will premiere on TSN on Aug. 2 at 6 p.m., and on RDS2 on Sept. 4 at 7:30 p.m.
Riverside International Speedway will conclude its 2015 season September 12 with the Lucas Oil 150 for the Parts for Trucks Pro Stock Tour along with the Highland Home Building Centres 50 for Napa Sportsman Series.
NASCAR Canadian Tire Series pres. by Mobil 1-Wounded Warriors Canada 300 Results
Lap length: 0.333 miles | (Start position in parentheses)
1. (2) Scott Steckly, Milverton, Ont., Dodge, 300 laps, 56.335 mph.
2. (13) Marc-Antoine Camirand, Saint-Leonard-d’Aston, Que., Chevrolet, 300.
3. (3) Andrew Ranger, Roxton Pond, Que., Dodge, 299.
4. (8) Mark Dilley, Barrie, Ont., Ford, 299.
5. (15) J.F. Dumoulin, Trois-Rivieres, Que., Dodge, 299.
6. (4) Jason Hathaway, St. Thomas, Ont., Chevrolet, 298.
7. (9) L.P. Dumoulin, Trois-Rivieres, Que., Dodge, 298.
8. (16) Gary Klutt, Halton Hills, Ont., Dodge, 298.
9. (11) Joey McColm, Ajax, Ont., Ford, 296.
10. (12) Josh Collins, Placentia, N.F., Ford, 296.
11. (7) D.J. Casey, Halifax, NS, Dodge, 295.
12. (5) David Michaud, Terrebonne, Que., Chevrolet, 290.
13. (6) Matthew Scannell, Rockwood, Ont., Dodge, 290.
14. (14) Dwayne Baker, Barrie, Ont., Dodge, 247, brakes.
15. (10) Donald Chisholm, Antigonish, N.S., Ford, 132, axle.
16. (1) D.J. Kennington, St. Thomas, Ont., Dodge, 40, drive line.
Time of Race: 1 hour 46 minutes 24 seconds
Margin of Victory:
Fastest Qualifier: D.Kennington (83.083 mph, 14.429 seconds)
Caution Flags: 4 for 58 laps.
Lead Changes: 7 among 5 drivers.
FEATURE PHOTO CREDIT – Matthew Manor/Getty Images for NASCAR