JAMES RIVER, NS – Management for Riverside International Speedway (RIS) are excited to be kicking off the facilities 54th racing season this Saturday, hosting three Maritime stock car racing series and over 300 laps of door-handle to door-handle high octane excitement for the whole family.
The cars and stars of the East Coast International Pro Stock Tour will contest round three of 11 en route to the 2023 championship with 18 teams at the ready for the R.J. Poirier 150. Defending race winner Kyle Reid (Fort McMurray-AB/Sydney) is among those entered along with series champions Craig Slaunwhite (Halifax) and Donald Chisholm (Antigonish). The entry list features top racers from four Canadian provinces, some of whom are using this event as a “warm-up” for the iconic IWK 250 presented by Steve Lewis at Riverside on July 15, including defending IWK 250 champion Greg Proude (Charlottetown, PE).
The longest-haul mention goes to Dwayne Baker from Stayner, Ontario who will pilot a brand new super late model/pro stock race car custom-built for him by famed short track racing legend, Jr. Hanley – a native of Port Mouton, NS. Baker plans to make the long haul again in July for the IWK 250.
Local favourites include Chisholm and Ryan VanOirschot, both from Antigonish. Chisholm is the winningest active driver at Riverside while VanOirschot is looking for his first pro stock win on home turf.
Fans will also have a chance to see the Maritimes latest inductee into the Canadian Motorsports Hall of Fame, Gary Elliott (Murray Siding) – aka Canada’s Iron Man; Elliott is celebrating 50 years in racing this year.
The current PST point leader is Jarrett Butcher (Porter’s Lake), just six markers ahead of Slauenwhite, who leads Naugle by 16 points. Complete series point standings can be found at www.maritimeprostocktour.com.
While the pro stocks are on the marquee, much anticipation is in the air for the return of street stock racing to Riverside on Saturday as the Dulux Paint Street Stock series makes its debut in what will be the first of two stops for them at Riverside this year. It’s been nearly 20 years since the popular grass roots division has raced at the 1/3-mile high-banked oval. Sixteen drivers have already registered for the chance to test their talents at Riverside on Saturday in the Nickerson Auto Salvage Twin 40s.
Also on the card are the Auto World Allstar Sportsman Series in round two of eight for 2023, the first of three stops at Riverside this year. Twenty-two of the top sportsman racers from the region have signalled their intention to compete in the NAPA/Henry’s AUTOPRO 100 including one of the Maritimes top racers, Dylan Blenkhorn (Truro). The expected list also includes defending series champion Deven Smith (Lakeside), the July ’22 series winner at RIS, Brady Creamer (Miramichi, NB), and local favourites Jeffrey Breen (Antigonish), Kevin Morse (Antigonish) and Dennis Nickerson (Marshy Hope).
Nickerson is among two drivers doing double-duty Saturday with entries in both the sportsman and street stock divisions; Michael Cormier (Grand Barachois, NB) is the other double-duty driver.
Drivers from all three Maritime Provinces are registered to race in each of the three divisions appearing this Saturday at Riverside.
All three divisions will run qualifying heat races to set the starting order for their feature events, all are championship points races en route to the series respective 2023 titles.
Racing gets underway at 4 p.m. on Saturday; those who have purchased advance tickets can enter at 1 p.m., the grandstand box office opens at 2 p.m. The pit gate opens at 11 a.m. with practice getting underway at 1 p.m. A complete race day schedule can be found at www.riversidespeedway.ca.
Advance tickets are available online for both the grandstand and pit; tickets will be available at both gates on race day. Advance ticket purchases also offer early and contactless entry. Adult tickets are $30, youth (8-15) are $10, children 7 and under will be admitted free. Pit tickets are $35.
Spectator parking is free, and RV parking is free for this event. Camping Section A will be open to self-contained RVs for the weekend starting at Noon on Thursday. A reminder to anyone using an OHV/Golf Cart this weekend that a permit is required for use on Riverside property – get them here: https://www.riversidespeedway.ca/event/ohv/.
EXPECTED ENTRY LIST – R.J. POIRIER HEAVY EQUIPMENT 150 (ECI PRO STOCK TOUR)
1. (0) Matt Vaughan, Lantz, NS
2. (08) Nicholas Naugle, Dartmouth, NS
3. (2) Ashton Tucker, Miramichi, NB
4. (11v) Jordan Veinotte, Porter’s Lake, NS
5. (25) Ryan VanOirschot, Antigonish, NS
6. (28) Tanton Wooldridge, Summerside, PE
7. (29) Greg Proude, Charlottetown, PE
8. (30) Stephen Lively, Shubenacadie, NS
9. (32) Chris Hughes, Brackley Beach, PE
10. (36) Gary Elliott, Murray Siding, NS
11. (41) Mike Rodgers, Moncton ,NB
12. (42) Kyle Reid, Fort McMurray, AB
13. (48) Dwayne Baker, Stayner, ON
14. (51) Tyler Smith, Brackley Beach, PE
15. (54) Jarrett Butcher, Porter’s Lake, NS
16. (88) Russell Smith, Jr., Lakeside, NS
17. (89) Donald Chisholm, Antigonish, NS
18. (99) Craig Slaunwhite, Terence Bay, NS
EXPECTED ENTRY LIST – NAPA/HENRY’S AUTOPRO 100 (AUTO WORLD ALLSTAR SPORTSMAN)
1. (1) Joey Livingstone, Pictou, NS
2. (6) Dylan Blenkhorn, Truro, NS
3. (10) Brady Creamer, Miramichi, NB
4. (21) Shawn Pierce, Bridgewater, NS
5. (23) Shawn Waterfield, Sydney, NS
6. (30) Marcel Leblanc, Saint Grecoire, NB
7. (31) Jesse Deveau, Kingston, NS
8. (37b) Brandon Albert, Summerside, PE
9. (42) Ronnie MacKay, Sydney, NS
10. (47) Dan Cameron, Westville, NS
11. (51) Dylan Dowe, Bedford, NS
12. (53) Steve MacPhee, Yarmouth, NS
13. (65) Brandon Carter, Salisbury, NB
14. (66) Jeffrey Breen, Antigonish, NS
15. (68) Michael Cormier, Grand Barachois, NB
16. (74) Cory Leonard, Prospect, NS
17. (78) Dennis Nickerson, Marshy Hope, NS
18. (82) Kenny Magliaro, Sydney, NS
19. (87) Kevin Morse, Antigonish, NS
20. (92) Pete Miller, East Gore, NS
21. (94) Deven Smith, Lakeside, NS
22. (99) Mike Riley, Timberlea, NS
EXPECTED ENTRY LIST – NICKERSON AUTO SALVAGE TWIN 40S (DULUX PAINT STREET STOCK)
1. (06) Marshall Bezanson, Stewiacke, NS
2. (15) Martin Landry, Scoudouc, NB
3. (35) Laurie Hutt, Fort Ellis, NS
4. (38) Taylor Albert, Crowes Mills, NS
5. (42) Mike Duskey, Springfield, PE
6. (47) Michael Fancy, Brookfield, NS
7. (51) Mitchell Arsenault, Summerside, PE
8. (53f) Bill Storey, Naswaak Bridge, NB
9. (58) Logan Power, Riverview, NB
10. (60) Mike Weagle, Steeves Mountain, NB
11. (68) Michael Cormier, Grand Barachois, NB
12. (68d) Darcy O’Neill, Miramichi, NB
13. (77) Riley Goodwin, Harvey, NB
14. (78) Dennis Nickerson, Marshy Hope, NB
15. (85) Kenny Mackenzie, Jr., Salisbury West, NB
16. (86) Matthew Ford, Ellerslie, PE
Expected entry lists are subject to change without notice.
About the East Coast International Pro Stock Tour
The East Coast International Pro Stock Tour (PST) is considered the highest level of stock car racing in Canada. The Tour is recognized in the industry as one of the healthiest stock car racing series in North America. PST visits four tracks throughout the Maritimes during its May through September season. The East Coast International Pro Stock Tour is owned and operated by Maritime Pro Stock Tour Limited. For more information, call our administration office at 902.481.2531 or click www.maritimeprostocktour.com. You can also follow us on Twitter at www.twitter.com/prostocktour and like us on Facebook at www.facebook.com/prostocktour.
.About Riverside International Speedway
Since 1969 Riverside International Speedway has been recognized as a premiere stock racing facility in Canada. The 1/3-mile high-banked asphalt oval roars to action several times a year for special events. It is the largest outdoor entertainment venue in eastern Canada and the home of the IWK 250 – widely known throughout North America as a “bucket list” event for racers and fans alike. Located in James River, between New Glasgow and Antigonish, the facility is easily accessible at exit 30 on Trans Canada Highway 104. For more information, please visit www.riversidespeedway.ca or call 902-863-2410 (May to September) or 902-404-7049 (October to April).